Preventive Dentistry in Albuquerque, NM
Caring for the well-being of your teeth and gums is one of the most important steps you can take to maintain good overall health for life. Along with boosting your self-esteem, a healthy smile can prevent health problems in other areas of your body, such as heart disease and diabetes. While treating dental concerns when they arise is necessary, preventing oral health issues from developing in the first place is even better. Before scheduling your next dental appointment with Dr. Belle at Valer Dental and Braces, here’s what you should know about the benefits of preventative dentistry.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventative dentistry is made up of any oral health procedures to prevent diseases of the teeth, gums, and soft tissues of the mouth. Many dental problems, such as cavities and gum disease, occur without noticeable signs and can progress quickly. The good news is that most of these issues can be prevented with good oral health habits at home and routine preventative dental appointments.
Benefits of Preventive Dental Care
Taking the time to care for your teeth at home properly and visiting our Albuquerque dental office twice a year for regular check-ups seems simple enough, but these small steps can make a big difference in your long-term oral health. Some of the many benefits that preventative dentistry can provide include:
- Maintaining a beautiful smile
- Preventing common dental issues, such as tooth decay and gum disease
- Boosting self-esteem
- Preventing other health concerns, such as heart disease and diabetes
What Preventative Dentistry Services Are Offered at Valer Dental and Braces?
At Valer Dental and Braces, our compassionate team is committed to maintaining a healthy smile as convenient and comfortable as possible. That’s why we’re proud to provide a variety of modern preventative dental procedures to meet the unique needs of your family’s smiles. Some preventative dental services we provide include:
- Dental cleanings: to remove plaque and tartar buildup that can lead to decay and gum disease
- Dental exams: to identify potential oral health concerns early, making treatment as fast and smooth as possible
- Fluoride treatments: to strengthen the enamel of your teeth and prevent cavities between check-ups
- Sealants: to prevent cavities from developing in the crevices of your (or your child’s) molars
- Oral cancer screenings: to find signs of oral cancer as early as possible to prevent it from progressing
Maintaining Proper Oral Hygiene at Home
Visiting the dentist every six months for routine dental exams and professional cleanings is an important part of preventing dental problems from developing, but how you care for your teeth at home is even more critical. Good oral hygiene habits are the key to keeping your teeth and gums in tip-top shape. Luckily, practicing good oral health habits is easier than you may think. Keep these tips in mind:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Floss and use mouthwash daily to remove debris that may be stuck between teeth
- Limit your consumption of foods that may be hard to clean or could damage your teeth, such as hard or chewy candy
- Don’t bite down on hard objects, such as ice or pens
Schedule Your Preventative Dental Appointment at Valer Dental and Braces
Keeping your smile healthy for life doesn’t have to be complicated. With proper at-home oral hygiene habits and regular dental visits, your teeth will surely be healthy and beautiful for years. At Valer Dental and Braces, Dr. Belle and his trusted team are eager to show you how simple preventing cavities, gum disease, and other common oral health problems can be. Contact us today to schedule your next routine dental check-up and cleaning.